Suresmile Orthodontic Treatment Instructions
Congratulations on making the important choice to better your dental and overall health with the use of Suresmile Orthodontic treatment.
- Wear aligners as directed by your doctor-at least 22 hours per day. This means you wear the aligners all day & all night, unless you’re eating or drinking anything besides water.
- Each aligner is labeled in chronological order on the package.
- It is extremely important to BRUSH & FLOSS after every meal before placing your aligners in to avoid developing cavities on and between your teeth.
- Clean aligners with room temperature water and a toothbrush.
- When wearing aligners, bite on them to be sure they are seated completely. Tis will help promote optimal Invisalign results.
- If you have attachments (buttons) on your teeth to help move teeth into place, please check frequently to be sure none of the attachments have come off. If you notice one missing, please call the office to have it placed back on.
- It is important to keep up with your dental cleanings with your hygienist while going through Invisalign treatment to avoid plaque and calculus build-up, periodontal disease and cavities. Your hygienist may recommend a Fluoride varnish treatment along with your dental cleaning to help strengthen your teeth while in treatment.
- Between cleanings, use your toothpaste at home to keep up the fluoride levels. If your dentist prescribed you a high-strength toothpaste (Prevident or ClinPro), apply a thin layer on your teeth after brushing and flossing before bed. DO NOT RINSE. Place aligners over toothpaste covered teeth. This will help the fluoride work on your teeth to strengthen them (and avoid cavities) throughout the night.
- Aligners may temporarily affect speech, although speech impediment caused by Clean aligners should disappear within one or two weeks. Extra salivation or mouth dryness is normal.
- It is normal to have soreness within your teeth, especially when eating. This means your clear aligners are working! Avoid eating food that cause your teeth to hurt.
- Do not take anti-inflammatory pain relievers such as Advil or Ibuprofen. It prohibits tooth movement on a molecular level. Tylenol (NSAIDS) are preferred as long as you do not have health risks against medications.
- Problems may occur in the jaw joint, causing joint pain, headaches or ear problems. Many times, clenching becomes a habit during Suresmile treatment which can cause these symptoms. These symptoms should be temporary and should resolve upon completion of treatment. Talk to your dentist if you’re experiencing these symptoms, they may recommend a night guard as partial of your post-treatment retention program.
- Roughness of the aligners can cause slight irritation to these tissues in your mouth including your tongue, cheeks, lips & gums. Warm salt water rinses or Peroxyl mouthwash (available at your drug store-Target, CVS, etc.) should help alleviate this discomfort.
- Your bite may be off while in treatment, as teeth are moving into place, they may be out of alignment temporarily. This is normal. Chew carefully, avoid anything too hard or crunchy.
**Failure to wear aligners for the required number of hours per day, not following instructions from your doctor, missing appointments, and erupting or atypically shaped teeth can lengthen treatment time and affect the ability to achieve desired results.
Please call us with any questions or concerns (860) 779-1053.
Thank you for choosing Killingly Dental Care to care for your dental & overall wellness.
Allison K. White, D.M.D.